Since its foundation in 1857 there have always been members of the Alpine Club who have carried sketch-books into the mountains, keeping a record of their endeavours and the peaks they had climbed. Descriptions of these artists form the principal part of the text of this Dictionary, together with many illustrations of their work. In 1895 the Alpine Club’s move to Savile Row, with its generous accommodation, enabled exhibitions of scale and scope to be held and the beginnings of a collection to form. The subsequent move to South Audley Street, shortly before the Second World War, enabled members’ exhibitions to continue, together with displays of mountain paintings from external galleries and dealers. In 1991 the move was made to the present premises at Charlotte Road. Throughout these many changes the Club’s collection has grown, almost exclusively by virtue of gifts from members, families and friends.